Digitalization and the growing networking of machines and industrial systems also mean an increase in the risk of cyberattacks. Appropriate protective measures are imperative, especially for critical infrastructure facilities.
As a pioneer in industrial security world, Siemens has always aimed to provide holistic, state-of-the-art solutions to ensure maximum protections of machines and plants. For this reason, Siemens has introduced new security features in TIA Portal V17. These features ensure that communication data is not subject to manipulation by means of encryption. They also provide protection against unauthorized access to machines and software.
This application example describes the new security functions that have been introduced with TIA Portal V17 and how to apply them on S7-1500 PLCs in connection with HMI panels. The user will learn how to use the newly introduced security wizard that helps with the security configuration of the PLC. The security configuration includes the following configuration steps:
- Protect the confidential configuration data of the PLC.
- Connect HMI panels to the CPU via secure communication connections.
- Configure the PLC access protection.
In addition to that, the following use cases are described:
- Replace an older device with a new one
- Compatibility with older devices
- Configurations that have been deployed with TIA Portal < V17
- Updating the firmware version of the PLC and the HMI panel